29 January 2023 — Merr Fe Painagan
As TikTok continues to grow in popularity as a social media and marketing platform, it has become an increasingly valuable platform for brands and businesses looking to reach new audiences and promote their products or services. However, with any marketing campaign, there are certain pitfalls that should be avoided in order to ensure success. In this article, we will explore some common TikTok influencer marketing mistakes that can hinder the success of your brand’s campaigns.
1. Partnering with the Wrong TikTok Influencer
This can harm your brand’s reputation and can even lead to a loss of customers. It is important for your brand to research and vet potential TikTok influencers to ensure they align with your brand’s values and message. Additionally, you should also have clear guidelines and expectations for the content that will be posted by the TikTok influencer. Monitoring the influencer’s content and engagement is also important to ensure that the partnership is beneficial for both you and the TikTok influencer.
To avoid partnering with the wrong TikTok influencer, your brand should:
• Research and vet potential TikTok influencers: Look at their past content, engagement levels, and overall audience to ensure they align with your brand’s values and message.
• Set clear guidelines and expectations: Communicate your business’ message and expectations for the content that will be posted by the influencer.
• Monitor the influencer’s content: Keep an eye on the TikTok influencer’s content and engagement to ensure that the partnership is beneficial for both your brand and the influencer.
• Check for authenticity: Ensure that the influencer has a real, engaged following, and not fake followers or engagement.
• Have a contract and set of terms: Have a clear contract and set of terms that outline the specifics of the partnership, such as the duration, payment, and deliverables.
Collaborating with the Right TikTok Influencers
To collaborate with the right TikTok influencers, you need to first identify your target audience and the type of content that aligns with your brand. Then, research TikTok influencers who have a following that aligns with your target audience and create content that aligns with their style and interests. Reach out to them and pitch your collaboration idea, and be sure to include information about your brand and what you can offer in the partnership. It’s also important to have a clear and fair compensation plan agreed upon before starting the collaboration.
Recommended Read: Why Your Brand should Work with Gaming Influencers in Your Next Influencer Marketing Campaign
2. Too much Control on the TikTok Influencer’s Content
Exerting too much control over the content created by a TikTok influencer during a collaboration can have negative consequences such as compromising the influencer’s authenticity and personal brand, leading to a loss of audience and damaging the influencer’s reputation, and also decreasing the ROI of your influencer marketing campaign. It is advised to have a guideline for the TikTok influencer, but allow them the creative freedom to explore the content in their own way.
To avoid exerting too much control over the content created by a TikTok influencer during a collaboration:
• Establish clear guidelines and boundaries: Before starting the collaboration, make sure to establish clear guidelines and boundaries for the content that needs to be created.
• Allow the influencer to maintain their personal brand: Give the influencer the freedom to create content in their own unique style, while also ensuring that it aligns with your brand.
• Maintain open communication: Keep an open line of communication with the influencer throughout the collaboration. This allows you to address any concerns and make adjustments as needed.
• Be flexible: Be open to the influencer’s creative ideas and be willing to make adjustments as needed.
• Give them the space to grow: TikTok influencers use their platforms to grow their own personal brand and following, so try to avoid any action that would limit their growth.
3. TikTok Influencers who attempt to gain popularity or clout by carelessly using trends
Attempting to go viral by blindly jumping on trends without considering if the trend aligns with TikTok influencer’s personal brand or target audience can be detrimental to the influencer’s personal brand and relationship with their followers. It can lead to creating inauthentic content which can lead to loss of credibility, engagement and decrease in the audience, damaging the reputation of the influencer and decrease in ROI of the influencer marketing campaign.
To avoid attempting to gain popularity by carelessly using trends, TikTok influencers should:
• Understand your audience: Understand who your target audience is and what kind of content they are interested in.
• Align with your personal brand: Only participate in trends that align with your brand’s values and the content that you are known for.
• Create unique content: Create original influencer marketing content that is unique to your brand, rather than just copying what others are doing.
• Keep it real: Stay true to yourself and your brand, and avoid participating in trends that feel inauthentic or forced.
Final PopStar Tip:
A final tip to prevent common TikTok influencer marketing pitfalls for successful campaigns is to thoroughly research and vet potential TikTok influencers before collaborating with them. This includes looking at their engagement rates, authenticity, audience demographics, and content style to ensure that they align with your brand and target audience. It’s also important to have clear guidelines and boundaries for the collaboration, and to maintain open communication throughout the campaign to make sure that TikTok influencer’s content aligns with your brand while also allowing them to maintain their own unique voice. Additionally, it’s crucial to have a fair compensation plan with the influencer which will help to build trust, respect, and a long-term relationship with the influencer and help you to achieve a successful campaign.
Recommended Read: Top Metrics for Your TikTok Influencer Marketing Campaign
Lastly, contact our Team at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information on how PopStar can help you in avoiding common pitfalls of TikTok influencer marketing campaigns.